top of page



How can I inquire about an appointment? 

Please call us at (202) 710-0592, email us at, or message us through our website



Do I qualify for CLADC's services? 

You qualify for CLADC's services if: 

  • you reside, or have a legal matter, in the District of Columbia;

  • your income does not exceed HUD’s Low (80%) Income Limits (which, for a one-person household, is $54,350 for 2019–20); AND

  • your legal matter falls within one of the following practice areas:

    • Criminal Record Sealing/Expungements

    • Elder Law (Wills, Powers of Attorney)

    • Landlord/Tenant (Eviction Defense, Housing Conditions & Repairs)

    • Probate

    • Social Security Disability


What should I bring to the clinic or my appointment?

Bring all documents related to your legal matter, including notices, court filings, contracts, correspondence, etc. If possible, please email them to or fax them to (202) 710-0592 in advance of your appointment.  



Is my clinic visit or initial consultation free?

Yes. Clinics and initial consultations are always free if you fall within our income guidelines.



Will CLADC represent me beyond the clinic visit or initial consultation?

It depends on the nature of your matter, the extent of our experience in that area of law, and our current capacity. 



What is the difference between pro bono and pro se?

Pro bono means that a lawyer is representing a client without charging for his or her time (but the client may still be responsible for paying other costs, such as filing fees or other court-related costs). Pro se means that an individual is representing his or herself in a legal proceeding without an attorney.



What is the difference between civil and criminal matters?  

Civil matters involve disputes between parties in which compensation may be awarded to the person suing. Examples include landlord/tenant, employment discrimination, and consumer law cases. Criminal matters are initiated by the government and seek to punish criminal offenses. Other than the expungement of criminal records, we do not practice criminal law.



What is the difference between a legal aid and public defender’s office?

Legal aid provides legal services (typically) in civil cases, whereas a public defender’s office provides representation in criminal cases.



What if CLADC cannot help me? Where can I find other resources?

If you do not qualify for assistance from CLADC or we are unable to represent you, we may be able to refer you to another legal service provider or a private attorney. Please click here for other DC-area legal resources. You may also contact the D.C. Bar’s Lawyer Referral Service at (202) 296-7845.

bottom of page