top of page
Client FAQs
How can I inquire about an appointment? 

Please call us at (202) 710-0592, email us at, or message us through our website. 

Do I qualify for CLADC's services? 

CLADC provides free legal services to residents of the District of Columbia whose income does not exceed HUD’s very low-income limits that determine eligibility for DC residents for HUD’s assisted housing programs, which for individual is $38,650 in 2017. Residents whose income exceeds the limits may be eligible for reduced-cost legal services. CLADC may on occasion provide legal services to persons with a residential address outside of the District of Columbia if (i) the person’s legal matter arises out of or is substantially connected to the District of Columbia, (ii) CLADC deems that the person is unlikely to find pro bono or affordable legal services elsewhere, and (iii) the person is otherwise eligible for CLADC’s services.

What should I bring to the clinic or my appointment?

Bring all documents related to your legal matter, including notices, court filings, contracts, correspondence, etc.

Is my clinic visit or initial consultation free?

Yes. Clinics and initial consultations are always free.

Will CLADC represent me beyond the clinic visit or initial consultation?

It depends on the nature of your matter and the extent of our experience in that area of law.

What is the difference between pro bono and pro se?

Pro bono means that a lawyer is representing a client without charging for his or her time (but the client may still be responsible for paying other costs, such as filing fees or other court-related costs). Pro se means that an individual is representing his or herself in a legal proceeding without an attorney.

What is the difference between civil and criminal matters?  

Civil matters involve disputes between parties in which compensation may be awarded to the person suing. Examples include landlord/tenant, employment discrimination, and consumer law cases. Criminal matters are initiated by the government and seek to punish criminal offenses. Other than the expungement of criminal records, we do not practice criminal law.


What is the difference between a legal aid and public defender’s office?

Legal aid provides legal services (typically) in civil cases, whereas a public defender’s office provides representation in criminal cases.


What if CLADC cannot help me? Where can I find other resources?

If you do not qualify for assistance from CLADC or we are unable to represent you, we may be able to refer you to another legal service provider or a private attorney. Please click here for other DC-area legal resources. You may also contact the D.C. Bar’s Lawyer Referral Service at (202) 296-7845.

bottom of page